Thursday, October 6, 2011

All Hat, No Cattle!!

You've seen this guy before - you know... big, bold, and blustery with a sales pitch that rivals TV's best pitchman. But Mr. Pitchman couldn't back up his hype if his life depended on it!! Sadly we see this personality way too often in society - "all hat, and no cattle!"


I knew a guy like that once, he used to work for me. Everything always sounded so perfect. 'Did you do this, and take care of that?' "SURE, NO PROBLEM!" Wrong - -  problem.... First time he went on vacation I discovered that nothing was done as it should have been! Worse, all of the trades responsible for that work were scurrying around trying to cover his tail because he wasn't taking care of stuff in a timely, and orderly fashion. DISASTER! Sure did cost me a lot to clean up his mess!


When I seek truth, I always run to the Bible. Plainly, it says "Say only yes if you mean yes, and no if you mean no. If you say more that yes or not, it is from the Evil One." (Matthew 5:37) Charge me guilty for my lack of discernment!




But we all get suckered occasionally. Sometimes the pitchman is sooooo smooth and persuasive that we take it hook, line, and sinker. Kind of like the "Evil One" referred to in the Bible verse above. My business partner, Phillip McCloud is amazingly plainspoken - doesn't say much, but when he does his "yes is yes, and his no, no." And everyone really relates to his character! There's no guessing as to what he means or wants. Believe me, it's right up front, what you see is what you get!


Everyone started out in basically the same place. Innocent, without pretense, plainly asking and telling with a childlike faith. Where did we stray?



No comments:

Post a Comment